Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Great Lunch Debacle

Three weeks into school and things are going GREAT!  Lil T loves school!  Let's hope this lasts until college.  Ummm, doubt it.  But let's enjoy it while it lasts.

All is well, except when it comes to lunch.  Every morning I pack him a lunch.  And every afternoon, the lunch is returned...barely eaten.   And the boy is famished when he comes home.  Duh, of course he is...HE DOESN'T EAT HIS LUNCH!  It's not like I pack some health-crazed, exotic, unidentifiable food.  It's ham and cheese.  Or pasta with butter and parmesan cheese.

Every morning I ask what he would like for lunch.

"Ham and cheese."  So I pack ham and cheese.  And what's in his lunchbag when he comes home?  Ham and cheese.

" I want pasta with cheese."  So there I am, 7am in the morning making pasta with cheese.  Packed in a thermos so it'll be warm when it's time for lunch.  And guess what's in his lunchbag when he comes home?  Cold, dried up pasta and cheese.

I've searched websites and cookbooks for cool lunch ideas.  Even made those little cut up ham and cheese on a stick thingys to make it more "fun".  Didn't work.  He'll eat the fruits that I pack.  He'll eat the snack bag of popcorn or cookies.  But no lunch.

I've been warned by other moms to expect this.  With the newfound independence and lunch time being only 25 minutes, I was told to expect that his lunch would be returned.  And so it's true.

I guess I just have to get over it.  He'll eat if he's hungry, right?  Ugh.

So what are some things that you pack your kids for lunch?  Would love to hear some ideas.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment